Global Game Jam 2014's theme was
We don't see things as
they are, we see them as we are.The theme reminded
me of Maslow's hammer,
I suppose it is tempting, if the
only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a
nail.I set out to make a game where the player is given
several tools, and will be forced not to rely on one of them.
In this game, you will use three different attacks to defend
yourself from approaching enemies.
But beware, as if you continue to use the same weapon, it becomes
- You can click on enemies to destroy them
- You can type the labels on enemies to destroy them
- You can use the joystick (or arrow keys) to fire a very
large beam and destroy them
- If you keep clicking enemies, future enemies will be
- If you keep typing enemy labels, future enemies will have
- If you keep using the beam weapon, future enemies will be
more spread out, and the beam will be narrower
There are five HUD elements.
- Use the mouse to click on enemies (red squares).
- Use your keyboard to type enemy labels. Use enter or space
- Use the steering wheel to aim the ship, and press any face
button to fire. Or, use left and right arrow keys to aim your
ship, and press up to fire.
- The input field at the bottom of the screen is where you
type. You shouldn't have to click it, clicking on the game will
re-focus the input
- The meter on the left side of the screen is the blaster
challenge meter. As it increases, enemies are more spread out,
and the blaster is less powerful.
- The meter on the right is the mouse challenge meter. As it
increases, the enemies get smaller, and move more radially.
- The meter on the bottom is the typing challenge meter. As it
increases, the words you need to type become longer.
- The number at the top is your score.
The source code to this game is available
- Design, programming, "art": Chris Mondok
- Audio Engineer: Matt Strawder